University of Tokyo MEXT Scholarship 2022 (Japanese Government Scholarship)
Applications are open for the University of Tokyo MEXT scholarship for the academic year 2022. The scholarships are offered for international students to pursue postgraduate (master & PhD) studies at the University of Tokyo. The ministry of education, sports, culture, science, and technology funds the scholarships. The University of Tokyo MEXT scholarship will cover the tuition fee, cost of traveling, and provide some allowance to the student. Japanese government scholarship is open to international students who have not received any other award or scholarship or do not reside in Japan nor studying in Japan already.
The University of Tokyo is a public-based research university in Tokyo, Japan. The university is known to have 10 faculties, and almost 30,000 students are enrolled, out of which more than 2,000 students are international students from different countries. According to QS Global Universities Ranking, the university ranks as the 24th best university globally and the top university in Tokyo.
The universities of Japan and higher education system rank among the world’s top universities in terms of quality education and performance. This is one of the reasons that the ministry of education controls public policy and management of Japan. The standards are set accordingly to participate in the world-ranking competition of universities. There are 783 universities in total, while 70% of Japan’s youth complete their postgraduate studies, making Japan one of the world’s most educated nations.
Here are more details about the University of Tokyo MEXT scholarship
Deadline is October 29, 2021
- Country: Japan
- Financial coverage: Fully Funded
- Eligible Regions: Afghanistan, Albania, Algeria, Angola, Argentine, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Austria, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Belarus, Benin, Bhutan, Bosnia, Botsowana, Brunei, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Bulgaria, Bolivia, Brazil, Cambodia, Colombia, Chile, Czech, Croatia, Cyprus, Cabo Verde, Cameron, Cote d’Ivoire, Chad, Comoros, Central African Republic, Djibouti, Democratic Republic of Congo, Equatorial Guinea, Ecuador, Eritrea, Egypt, Ethiopia, Ghana, Gabon, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Guyana, Greece, Hungary, India, Iran, Indonesia, Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Kenya, Kosovo, Laos, Liechtenstein, Libya, Lesotho, Liberia, Lebanon, Malaysia, Maldives, Myanmar, Mongolia, Morocco, Mauritius, Malawi, Mozambique, Mali, Maldives, Macedonia, Montenegro, Moldova, Mauritania, Nepal, Niger, Nigeria, Namibia, Oman, Palestine, Pakistan, Philippines, Peru, Paraguay, Qatar, Russia, Rwanda, Republic of Congo, Romania, Singapore, Suriname, Slovakia, Sri Lanka, Switzerland, Slovenia, Serbia, Syria, South Sudan, South Africa, Somalia, Seychelles, Senegal, Sao Tome and Principle, Sierra Leone, Saudi Arabia, Thailand, Tajikistan, Turkey, Turkmenistan, The Gambia, Togo, The Sudan, Tanzania, Tunisia, United States of America, Uganda, Uruguay, Ukraine, Uzbekistan, United Arab Emirates, Vietnam, Venezuela, Zimbabwe.
- Deadline: October 29, 2021
Eligibility Criteria :
Here’s the criteria for the University of Tokyo MEXT scholarship:
- Graduated international students must have a grade point of 2.30/ higher.
- International students who are currently doing their graduation should have a grade point of 2.30/higher in their recent courses.
- Applicants must have an excellent academic record.
- Applicants must belong to one of the countries stated in the list below to apply for the University of Tokyo MEXT scholarship.
- Applicants must be born after 2 April 1987.
- Applicants Should have completed the prerequisite education for Masters and PhD, in the exact or related field they are applying for.
- Applicants must be proficient in the English language or Japanese; check the requirements here.
- Applicants must be physically and mentally fit.
- Applicants must arrive in Japan on the specified date by their university.
- The former scholarship holder is not eligible.
University of Tokyo MEXT Scholarship will cover the following:
- A monthly allowance will be provided to the students.
- The traveling cost will be covered according to the designated route, an economy class ticket from the airport nearest the residence. MEXT will not cover any cost of local travel expenses and baggage expenses.
- The enrollment fee and the tuition fee of the successful candidates will be exempted.
Other details :
- The documents must be in Japanese or English; A4 format using MS Word must be duplex printing. If the documents are in another language, they should be accompanied by a translation.
- The documents will not be returned, and if the application is submitted after the deadline, it will not be accepted. The application will be rejected if the application or necessary documents are not complete or correct.
- If the applicant reaches Japan after or before the designated time, the scholarship will not cover a travel expense. If they cannot travel on the designated period, they should decline the scholarship if the students arrive without a newly obtained visa.
- Application form (download from official website),
- Research plan and field of study (download from official website),
- Letter of recommendation from the Dean,
- Passport photo,
- Official transcript from the university attended last,
- Language proficiency score,
- Abstract of the thesis,
- Official statement of graduation expected (for students expected to graduate after submitting application),
- Copy of passport.
Before submitting the documents, applicants must apply for admission to the Graduate School of Science (Master’s/Doctoral Program). Applicants also have to submit the tracking receipt of the documents submitted before the deadline.