MSC POSITION IN FOREST RESEARCH
We are seeking a highly motivated person to conduct research that addresses impacts of climate change on forests in western Canada. In British Columbia alone, 60 million hectares are forested. How we manage these forests now will have a large impact for decades to come and sound research is the foundation of sustainable management. As the successful candidate, you will contribute to these objectives by analyzing data from long-term forest experiments to evaluate how silvicultural interventions like thinning or fertilization can increase forest resilience to drought. Annual growth variations will be linked to climatic extremes and the anatomy of the wood will be linked to underlying mechanisms. The position will be supervised by Dr. David Montwé at the University of British Columbia – Department of Forest Resources Management.
What we offer
- Commitment to excellence, diversity and impact
- Mentorship and support in an expanding team
- A competitive salary and support for scholarships
- Training in statistics, laboratory techniques and reproducible research
- Participation in scientific conferences and meetings
- Collaboration with end-users in government and industry
Required qualifications, skills and aptitudes
- A Bachelor’s degree in forest science, conservation science, environmental science or related fields
- Ability to contribute to a positive environment in a diverse team
- Ability to work independently and in a team
- Taking pride in accurate and quality work
- Commitment to safety in field and laboratory work
- Excellent verbal and written English skills
- Experience in data analysis including R, ArcGIS or similar programs
- Driver’s license and willingness to conduct fieldwork in remote locations across BC
- Willingness to participate in mentoring undergraduate research assistants
Please send your application including a cover letter, CV, academic transcripts, and contact information for three references in one PDF-file to email@example.com.
We will begin reviewing applications on January 25th, 2021, and will continue until the position is filled. The anticipated starting date for this position is September 1st, 2021.
Successful candidates will apply for admission to UBC Forestry’s MSc program.
Please mention reference number GPS-54640 in all your correspondence about this Master student position.