Job Code: 20/11/16
Job Offer from November 16, 2020
The department of Molecular Membrane Biology run by Prof. Dr. Dr. Hartmut Michel at the Max Planck Institute of Biophysics is looking for a postdoctoral researcher (m/f/d) with a strong background in protein biochemistry and structural biology. In particular, the candidate will study structure-function relationship of selected membrane proteins with strong emphasis on electron cryo-microscopy (cryo-EM). The successful candidate is going to be associated to a project group that focusses on understanding bacterial and human secondary active transporters including sodium ion proton antiporters and iron and heme translocators. The successful candidate is expected to work within a team and also lead on her/his project and start to develop independent ideas. Our multi-disciplinary institute provides an innovative, dynamic and constructive working environment for this purpose.
- Production, purification and downstream optimization of protein samples for structural studies via cryo-EM. This includes work with sensitive membrane proteins, as well as antibody fragments
- Screening and selection of camelid nanobodies by use of yeast surface platforms and flow cytometry
- Development of Flp-In T-REx 293 cell lines as production platforms for human iron and heme transporters
- A doctoral degree (Ph.D.) in biochemistry, cell biology, or structural biology with a strong focus on membrane protein research
- Strong experience in protein production and purification
- Strong experience in work with human cell lines
- Experience in molecular biology
- An in-depth understanding of concepts used in structural biology (cryo-EM, X-ray crystallography) is required.
You should be able to work independently, be very well organized, reliable and enjoy working in an international team within a highly collaborative atmosphere. Excellent communication and presentation skills, a high level of motivation and fluency in English are required.
The start date of the position should be no later than 1st February 2021. The post is limited until 31.07.2022. Remuneration is based on the pay scale of the TVöD Bund.
Please send applications with your personal details by December 18th, 2020.
The Max Planck Society committed gender equality and diversity. We welcome applications from all backgrounds. The Max Planck Society is committed to diversity and inclusion and is aiming to increase the percentage of handicapped persons in areas, where they are under-represented.
Max Planck Institute of Biophysics
Dr. Schara Safarian
60438 Frankfurt am Main