Heisenberg Programme of the German Research Foundation
Do you already fulfil all the requirements for a tenured professorship but have not yet been appointed to a chair? Then apply to the Heisenberg Programme of the German Research Foundation. There are four possible funding routes: a Heisenberg position, a Heisenberg temporary substitute position for clinicians, a Heisenberg professorship and a Heisenberg fellowship. Applications for funding can be submitted at any time.
Who can apply?
- The Heisenberg Programme is directed primarily at those researchers who have qualified for professorship via the Emmy Noether Programme, DFG staff positions, private-sector research or non-faculty academic positions
- The target group also includes junior group leaders, junior professors and those with a habilitation who have received positive evaluations. Also part of the target group are German researchers returning from abroad and appropriately qualified foreign researchers looking to pursue careers in Germany. Those with qualifications equivalent to a habilitation may also be entitled to apply.
- Applications may not be submitted by those who hold a permanent position with remuneration equivalent to the W2/W3 grade or by professors on tenure track programmes in Germany
What form does funding take?
Funding is normally provided for a period of five years. Funding is initially approved for three years, with the possibility to extend for two further years. There are four possible funding routes:
- With a Heisenberg post, funding for a temporary position at an academic institution in Germany is provided, as is flexible research funding
- With a Heisenberg rotation post, researchers engaged in clinical practice receive funding that allows them to be released from clinical duties, as well as flexible research funding
- With a Heisenberg professorship, funding for a temporary professorship at a German university can be provided, as can flexible research funding
- With a Heisenberg fellowship, a fellowship grant of 4,450 euros to cover living expenses and a general funding allowance are provided
When is the closing date for applications?
Applications can be submitted at any time.
Terms and conditions of application
The terms and conditions of application can be found here:
Here you find a wide selection of funding programmes by various funding organisations for international academics and researchers – for graduates, doctoral students, postdocs and senior scientists.