Grant researcher Transport economics & logistics, with a focus on smart ports, including cost analysis and ecosystem development
University of Antwerp, Belgium
Department : Department of Transport and Regional Economics
Regime : Full-time
The Department of Transport and Regional Economics of the Faculty of Applied Economics is searching a
full time grant researcher in the area of transport economics & logistics, with a focus on smart ports, including cost analysis and ecosystem development.
TPR’s lines of research are located on the interface of general and business economics. Its research activities unfold within the framework of programmes instigated by the university and the authorities (regional, federal and European) as well as specific assignments from the public and private sectors.The rich set of tools that the fields of transport and spatial economics offer are apparent in the broad range of research procedures applied. These include strategic analyses, methods of economic research and assessment, information gathering and analysis, operational research, model-based analysis, forecasting and simulations.
The successfull applicant will:
- Do research on the assigned project(s)
- Prepare a Ph.D. thesis on the related research topic
- Publish scientific articles related to the research project of the assignment
- Be prepared to apply for external funding related to scientific research.
- You will have obtained a master’s degree in Economics or in Commercial Engineering by the start of the contract (planned January 2020). You can submit outstanding academic results. The quality of your research is in line with the policy guidelines of the University of Antwerp.
- Your academic qualities comply with the requirements stipulated in the university’s policy (http://www.ua.ac.be/research).
- You are quality-oriented, conscientious, creative, pro-active, customer-oriented and cooperative;
- An analytical spirit and a focus on quantification are expected.
- Team player with a sense of initiative and responsibility.
- Excellent verbal and written English communication skills.
- Knowledge and understanding of Dutch is a strong plus.
- Also an affinity with transportation, preferably ports, is required.
You are open to conduct applied research in close collaboration with industry representatives.
What we offer
- We offer a position as scientific researcher under grant (‘bursaal’) system for 1 year (with the option to other years upon positive evaluation, eventually more);
- The planned start date is as soon as possible;
- Your monthly scholarship amount is calculated according to the scholarship amounts for doctoral scholarship holders on the pay scales for contract research staff (Dutch: Bijzonder Academisch Personeel, BAP).
- A challenging position in an interdisciplinary international environment.
- A dynamic and stimulating work environment.
- Find out more about working at the University of Antwerp here .
Want to apply?
- You can apply for this vacancy through the University of Antwerp’s online job application platform up to and including November 19, 2020 (by midnight Brussels time). Click on the ‘Apply’ button, complete the online application form and be sure to include the following attachments: a motivation letter with contact details of references, and a detailed CV
- The selection committee will review all of the applications as soon as possible after the application deadline. As soon as a decision has been made, we will inform you about the next steps in the selection procedure.
- If you have any questions about the online application form, please check the frequently asked questions or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have any questions about the job itself, please contact dr. Valentin Carlan – email@example.com .
The University of Antwerp received the European Commission’s HR Excellence in Research Award for its HR policy. We are a sustainable, family-friendly organisation which invests in its employees’ growth. We encourage diversity and attach great importance to an inclusive working environment and equal opportunities, regardless of gender identity, disability, race, ethnicity, religion or belief, sexual orientation or age. We encourage people from diverse backgrounds and with diverse characteristics to apply.