Fully funded PhD researcher in Economics (f/m) – Ref: 20-16
The Luxembourg Institute of Socio-Economic Research (LISER) is recruiting a
Fully funded PhD researcher in Economics (f/m)
- Ref 20-16
- Full time, 40 hours/week
- Fixed-term contract for up to 4 years
- Work contract at LISER, Labour Market department
- Enrolment in the Doctoral Programme of the University of Luxembourg
- PhD supervision by Prof Christina Gathmann (LISER) and other committee members (TBD)
- Deadline:11 Dec 2020
- Earliest start date: 1st January 2021 (or soon thereafter)
LISER invites highly qualified and motivated applicants for a PhD position in the Labour Market Department and its new head Christina Gathmann, Ph.D. The successful candidate will work on questions related to changes in skill demand, human capital needs and worker reallocation. A strong focus will be on the role of technology and structural change in the emerging digital economy; and possible policy interventions to foster the transition and reduce potentially adverse effects.
The Doctoral Candidate will be a member of the Labour Market department.
Your tasks include:
• Prepare a doctoral thesis in economics on the digital transformation of the labour market and the use of big data in empirical economic research;
• Contribute to co- and single-authored publications on the research topics;
• Participate in the everyday management of the research projects involved, possibly including public outreach activities like policy briefs, social media communication etc.
• Master degree in economics or econometrics;
• Strong programming skills (R is a must, Python a plus);
• Good knowledge of machine learning techniques and data science methods;
• Strong interest in economics, econometrics and quantitative methods; interest in the relationship between technology and human capital in the labour market;
• Excellent verbal communication and academic writing skills in English; working knowledge of German or French;
• Enthusiasm for research, critical thinking and working in a diverse team.
• Work in a dynamic department with many international colleagues, both senior and junior;
• An exciting multi-disciplinary and international research environment with ample opportunities to exchange with scholars from related disciplines at both LISER and the University of Luxembourg;
• A highly competitive salary for the full-time PhD position for a period of maximum of 4 consecutive years (1+2+1 years);
• A package of mentoring, training and career development as well as access to a wide range of courses and seminars offered by LISER and the University of Luxembourg.
LISER is a publicly funded research institute located in Luxembourg. LISER is devoted to applied empirical research in economic, social and spatial sciences. The institute attracts researchers from all over the world and high-level doctoral training is a vibrant part of the Institute’s activities. The institute‘s staff consists of about 180 employees (including a survey and data center), about 100 staff being researchers, mainly from the fields of economics, sociology, and geography. The working languages at the institute are French, English and (in the Labour Department also) German.
About the Community
The institute is located on the new Belval campus in the south of Luxembourg, which hosts the University of Luxembourg and a substantial part of the country’s publicly funded research facilities, i.e. LISER, the Luxembourg Income Study (LIS ) cross-national data center, the Luxembourg institutes of Health (LIH ) and of Science and Technology (LIST ).
Luxembourg with its > 600,000 inhabitants is one of the wealthiest countries in the world and provides a stimulating mixture of modern culture and tradition. In addition to excellent health, education (public, private and high level international schools) and recreational services, the community affords a rich variety of cultural activities typical of a major university environment, including museums, music, art and theatre. The official languages are French, German and Luxemburgish.
Information for foreign researchers interested in Luxembourg research is accessible via the national EURAXESS platform http://www.euraxess.lu/
Please submit your complete application through our online system: https://jobs.liser.lu/jobs before November 11th 2020:
• a letter of application outlining your thematic interest, motivation and profile;
• a CV;
• copies of relevant degree diplomas, especially Master degree;
• certificates or other proof of your programming skills;
• two letters of recommendation (to be uploaded with the application documents or sent separately to email@example.com );
• a relevant written document (e.g. a working paper, a chapter from your MA/MSc thesis, a seminar paper).
Deadline for applications: 11th November 2020
For PhD related information, please contact Prof. Christina Gathmann – firstname.lastname@example.org (no applications).
For administrative matters, please contact email@example.com
LISER is an Equal Opportunity Employer