Norwegian Institute for Air research, Norway
Post-doctoral position (2 years) – Chemical or environmental engineering, industrial ecology, environmental footprints and sustainability
The Department of Environmental Impacts and Sustainability (IMPACT) at NILU is seeking a post-doctoral fellow in the field of Life Cycle Assessment (LCA), environmental footprints and sustainability. The department has the responsibility for research and studies supporting the transition to a sustainable society and circular economy, with a strong focus on minimizing impacts on the environment, health and climate. The candidate will work on the PLASTCYC project which aims at mapping the stock and flow of plastic products, characterization of the flow of harmful chemicals within plastics, conduct LCA and socio-economic analysis of current waste management practices in Norway, identify alternative scenarios and provide environmental and economic evaluation of alternative scenarios. The project is funded by Norwegian Research Council (2021 – 2023) and the candidate is expected to work closely with international partners and stakeholders during the project. PLASTCYC is directly addressing SDG12 on sustainable production and consumption by providing solutions that lead to reduction of our environmental footprint.
The applicant is expected to:
- Develop and analyse plastic waste management scenarios, in collaboration with other project participants, and their consequence for plastic flows through society and environment
- From a life cycle perspective perform economic and environmental impact assessment of these scenarios focusing on impacts of additives and contaminants in plastics
- Contribute to other relevant activities within the PLASTCYC project
- Disseminate research results, including publishing in peer-reviewed literature
- Hold PhD degree (or close to completion) in a relevant field (e.g. chemical or environmental engineering, industrial ecology or environmental economics)
- Experience in the use and development of mathematical and statistical models
- Good skills in programming (e.g., R and Python)
- Experience in the development and use of environmentally extended MRIO models and/or LCA models and cost analysis models
- Experience with the development of dynamic MFA models is an advantage
- Experience (as first author) with publication of scientific research in peer reviewed journals
- Good knowledge of English, both oral and written – knowledge of Norwegian is an advantage
Application must include (as a single complete PDF file):
- Cover letter including a statement of motivation and research interests
- CV (summarizing education, positions and academic work)
- List of 2-3 references (name, relation to candidate, e-mail and phone number)
- Copies of educational certificates and degrees
Foreign applicants are advised to attach an explanation of their University’s grading system. Please remember that all documents should be in English or a Scandinavian language. Applications with documents missing will not be considered further. Original documentation may be requested.
- International environment with professional and friendly colleagues from all over the world, and broad experience and complementary competence
- Access to a wide network of national and international collaborators
- A constant learning environment with participation in conferences, workshops, and international training events
- Flexible working hours
- Open source and open access philosophy regarding software and data
- Excellent pension, welfare, and insurance schemes, and a competitive salary
We seek candidates with strong interpersonal skills to support team building and strong commitment to scientific integrity in addition to good communication and collaboration skills. No additional funding will be required during this project.
Details about NILU can be found at www.nilu.no . Informal enquiries about the available position can be directed to project leader Golnoush Abbasi (email@example.com ) Phone +47 47733350 or Research Director Cristina Guerreiro (firstname.lastname@example.org ) Phone +47 41418487.
Applications including CV and copies of degrees/diplomas should be sent through www.FINN.no , ref number 193827731 as soon as possible and no later than 15 November 2020.