University of Alberta, Canada
The Department of Cell Biology at the University of Alberta invites applications for a full-time Research Associate. The successful candidate will have proven experience in molecular and cellular biology of flaviviruses, coronaviruses, alphaviruses and other RNA viruses. The incumbent will be responsible for working with pathogenic viruses in high-level containment facilities, interpreting results, writing manuscripts and grant sections, and supervising trainees.
- Carries out high-level, complex research activities and projects in virus-host interactions either as primary or co-investigator, under the direction of the Principal Investigator
- Designs and conducts complex scientific research specifically as it relates to the etiology of mosquito-transmitted, blood and airborne viral diseases under the direction of the Principal Investigator
- Independently, or at the direction of the Principal Investigator, develops experiments, research methods and protocols to pursue identified research goals
- Collects, analyzes and interprets data relating to research and clinical translation
- Sets research activity objectives in consultation with the Principal Investigator
- Develops and carries out independent research
- Troubleshoots experimental protocols
- In consultation with the Principal Investigator, develops and documents research methods and protocols
- Writes research papers and assists with the preparation of research grant applications and contract proposals with varying amounts of input from the Principal Investigator
- Presents research results at laboratory meetings, departmental seminars, scientific conferences, and related settings
- Fosters communication with off-campus partners
- Participates in the scientific oversight of the laboratory; assists the Principal Investigator in the teaching and supervision of students, technicians, and other staff in the laboratory
- Works in BL2 and BL3 biohazard containment facilities
- Performs other duties as required
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- PhD in Cell Biology or Virology
- At least 4 years of postdoctoral experience encompassing broad molecular research
- Proven accomplishments in virology and cell biology
- Working experience in BL2 & 3 bio-containment laboratories
- Experience with flaviviruses, alphaviruses and coronaviruses
- Experience with confocal and high-resolution imaging
- Knowledge of innate immune signaling
- Experience in isolation and culturing of cells from primary human cells from multiple tissues
- Ability to work independently as well as contributing to team development, including during the supervisor’s periodic absences from the lab.
In accordance with the Trust/Research Academic Staff Agreement , this full-time (FTE 1.0) position has a term length of one year, with the possibility of extension and an annual salary range of $58,210 – $80,050. Salary will be commensurate with experience and qualifications. An internal candidate will be applying for this position.
Deadline:09 Oct 2020
Note: Online applications are accepted https://www.careers.ualberta.ca/Competition/A114743026/until midnight Mountain Standard Time of the closing date.
click here for more details:- https://www.careers.ualberta.ca/Competition/A114743026/